Eclectic recent math-goodness :
Two nice video talks by Terry Tao on Random Matrices and Additive Combinatorics here
A programmers intro to the practical aspects of Flow Graphs at topcoder algorithm tutorials
Last but not least the superb ‘Princeton Companion to Mathematics‘.
In a nutshell, PCM is a readable survey-guide to modern math by the experts. Some links –
- The intro page autoplays a podcast interview with Tim Gowers, the editor
- Contents list with some downloadable sample chaptes
- Terry Taos many PCM contributions are discussed/previewed at his blog
- ‘Mathematics and Money’ chapter apparently has an intro to Quantitative Finance by Mark Joshi
- ‘Numerical Analysis’ sample chapter mentions John Butcher, a great ex prof from Auckland Uni.